You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites.
Before you enter any personal details, please make sure that you are using our secure online registration system and check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. READ THE INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
Download and read the Information for Candidates (PDF, 934 kb) which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. DECIDE WHICH VERSION OF THE TEST IS RIGHT FOR YOU
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. CHECK THE IELTS TEST DATES
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered up to two days before your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. REGISTER ONLINE
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. PREPARE AND SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS
Once you have completed the online registration process, please bring the following to our office within 5 days:
- a copy of the email confirming that you have been registered online
- a valid copy and original of your passport or national ID card (only applied to Rwandans)
- a bank deposit slip for the test fee (all payments are to be deposited in the bank - details of the account will be specified in the confirmation email as well as in step 6 below).
6. CHOOSE YOUR PAYMENT OPTIONS
The cost of sitting a test is 170 GBP. You can pay the test fees in local currency as displayed on the Online Registration portal via a bank transfer, cash and or cheque deposit.
Payments should be made at I&M Bank:
Payments made by bank transfer must include bank charges and will need to be cleared before your application is confirmed. The details of the British Council account are:
Account name: British Council
Account Number: 010-5034933-01-50
Bank: I & M Bank (former BCR)
You are required to include your Full IELTS Reference Number and ID on your bank deposit slip at the time of payment; Once you have made the payment, please bring the payment slip along with the rest of your registration documents.
7. COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION
Bring all documents from step 5 and your Application Summary to our office:
KG5 Ave, 82 Gasabo District, Sector Kacyiru, House no.129 Kigali, Rwanda.
We need to receive all documents within five working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have provided us with all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8. AFTER YOU REGISTER
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- We will send you a confirmation email within three working days of your application giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
For more information please contact our Exams Services:
Telephone: +250 252 554 600
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us one month before your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- if you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a 25% administration fee.
- if you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form (PDF 42kb) along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
TEST DAY TRANSFERS
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.